How Long Should My Workouts Be
How long should my workouts be, I get asked this question all the time . Personally I think everyone is different and what works from me might not work for you. That being said I have done lots of different kinds of workouts at all different lengths. At crossfit , the classes where an hour-long but we did not workout that whole hour. After the strength portion the actual workout was anywhere from 8-20 min on average . Post Brody I started with 30 minute workouts , mainly 21 day fix, max 30 and 21 day fix extreme. I had great results with those quick workouts . I also did 80 day obsession after Brody , those workouts are longer , between 30-60 min. Honestly didn’t love the longer workouts anymore! Mentally, I believe it’s easier to motivate myself for a 30 min workout.
Why I love shorter workouts:
30 minute workouts are my jam! 45 minutes is my limit . Being a mom is busy and finding the time to get a workout in can be hard BUT we can all mange 30 minutes a few times a week. I found with the longer workouts I skipped them more or Brody was over it by 40 minutes and Id have to stop anyway. The best results I have seen are when I do quick effective workouts with a combo of weights & cardio. Honestly, I went from skipping /dreading my longer workouts to looking forward to my quick short ones . I always feel great after. Remember no matter how long your workout is quality & focus is far more effective than quantity.
Remember everyone is different and you might have to test out some workout times, programs , classes ect to find what works best for you.
I find 30 minute workouts are perfect when pregnant . Always remember to listen to your body, rest when needed and modify as your pregnancy progresses . As you get further along you may want to shorten your workouts even more, maybe to 15-20 min . I typically do about 30 minutes and that’s just perfect for this growing body. I aim for 4-5 workouts a week but I will include a long walk as my workout. It doesn’t all have to be in the gym. Remember short workouts are still effective !
After having Brody quick 30 minute workouts were a must! No mom as time for an hour-long workout unless your gym has a day care! I plan to stick to my 30 minute workouts after baby number 2 comes this fall.
How to have short effective workouts:
- plan your workouts / follow a plan and be ready. Have your mat, weights, timer whatever you need ready for the workout
- limit your rest periods
- focus on the workout . Turn your phone off. It’s crazy how much time can be wasted checking our phones during a workout
- try timed workouts . Do circuits that are timed out or set your timer for 30 minutes and see how many rounds you can get done in the time frame
- make a playlist. Make a 30 minute play list and stop skipping songs. Here is another big time waster . Changing the song searching for the right one can add a few extra unwanted minutes to your workout
- find a workout video/program that is only 30 minutes and follow along
How long do you typically workout for? Do you love quick 30 minute workouts like me or do you love those longer ones?? Id love to know, comment below and get the convo started.
More post you will love: