7 Prenatal Fit Tips ( 1st Trimester )
Congratulations! You just found out you’re having a baby and I’m sure you are thinking “ can I still workout?” First make sure to check with your doctor, ever pregnancy is different and we all want to be safe. Today I am sharing with you what workouts I did during my 1st trimester while pregnant with Brody and now with baby number two plus 7 prenatal fit tips ( its trimester )
My doctor told me I was free to continue what I was doing before I got pregnant just to make sure I didn’t push myself so I was out of breath.
With Brody I did lots of walking , 30 minute workouts ( 21 DF & 21 DFE) and crossfit. I modified most of the jumping because my boobs hurt to jump 🙂
Now that I am pregnant with baby number two I am doing only workouts from home & walking ( plus chasing Brody around) . I am still doing some BB workouts like 80 Day Obsession and 21 DF but I am also adding in my own circuits that I share every Sunday.
7 Prenatal Fit Tips:
Find a sports bra and shoes that you love & are supportive
Walking counts as a workout! ( bring water with you )
Dress in layers so you don’t over heat. And make sure the room you workout in is not too hot
Drink LOTS of water especially if you are sweating while working out
Eat enough to support your workouts, have a protein packed meal after your workout. I don’t recommend doing a fasted workout.
Stand up slowly after doing moves on the ground , you might get dizzy
Always listen to your body and modify/stop when needed
Workouts I have been doing with baby number two:
Workouts from week 12
Four workouts from week 11
Three workouts from week 9
Turkey Avocado Nourish Bowl
I am obsessed with nourish bowls right now! They are basically a salad with a carb/grain, nuts & seeds and a healthy fat. Although this one does not have a carb/grain I do sometimes add rice or sweet potato.
This Turkey Avocado Nourish Bowl was perfect , especially if you love arugula like me!
1 large tomato, chopped
1 small red onion, sliced thin
Frozen turkey balls ( or make your own! )
1/2 cup corn * optional
Olive oil cooking spray
3 cups arugula (or baby spinach)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
lemon juice + olive oil
Chop tomato; slice onion ( I used less than half )
Cook your meat balls and your corn according to package
Cut avocados into chunks. Place all ingredients (except dressing) in a bowl. I added lemon juice and a TBS of oil to mine.
This made enough for me to have two servings plus some left over for tomorrow 🙂
Frozen raspberries with whipped cream.
New workouts to try!
I hope you LOVE my recipes & quick workouts . Id love to hear from you! Comment below which one you love best . Also make sure you follow me on instagram
30 Day Squat Challenge
Summer is coming , let’s get our booty ready for our bikinis! This 30 day squat challenge is the perfect addition to add to your day. Remember if you are not sure what a move is feel free to ask me below ( or on insta ) OR you can google it!!
Id love to know when you start, comment below & make sure you follow me on insta for more motivation!
Chocolate Almond Banana Bites
Perfect energy bites for picky eaters and moms on the go! These taste great and only take about 5 minute to make ! My son loves them and would eat them all at once if I let him! I added in peanut butter and cocoa powder but you can leave those out and just have banana almond bites. Next time I was thinking off adding some honey!
- one banana
- 1.5 cups of almond flour
- 1 tbs peanut butter * optional
- 1 tbs cocoa powder
blend or mix all ingredients . Refrigerate 10 min then roll into balls. If mixture is too sticky add some more almond flour till you can roll it into balls. Store in refrigerator for 2-3 days
Workouts To Try This Week
Happy Sunday! Here are the some of the workouts I did this week. I hope you get to try them. Let me know when you do. All the workouts can be done right from home . I shared some clips and pix of the moves to help you incase you don’t know some of the moves. But remember you can always google a move if you’re not sure what it is!
Check out these chocolate almond banana bites that are perfect for picky eaters and moms on the go!
Lower Body Dumbbell Workout by Whitney Simmons ( video below)
- 4 squat walks into 4 sumo squats
- 8 reverse lunge each leg
- 10 straight leg deadlift
- 10 goblet squats – added a band
- 10-12 single leg hamstring raise
- 20 hip thrusts on bench with abductor ( band on )
Click here for Whitneys video
Shoulder & Biceps
- 10 dumbbell shoulder press
- 8 reverse grip press
- 10 incline bar curls
- 15 up right row
- 10 around the word
- 10 wide grip bar curls
- 10 rear delt raise
- 10 single arm band curl
Lower Body HIIT
Add a barbell or dumbbells when you can. Click here for video how too
- 10 weighted split lunge per leg
- 15 dumbbell squat hop
- 10 stiff leg deadlift
- 15 sumo squat pulse
- 10 kneeling hip thrust
- 15 split lunge jump
Set timer for 30:30:30 – no rest
- skater lunge jumps
- squat jacks
- double sqaut
rest one min: repeat 2-3x
How To Be A Healthy (ish) Fit Mom
Life can get busy! Between being a mom, work, friends & housework it can be tough to stay on track with your healthy lifestyle . What I have learned so far is if I want to be a healthy happy fit mom I need to put myself first sometimes . Being constantly stressed, unhealthy & unhappy isn’t good for anyone !
Each day is a new day! Forget about yesterday and what did or didn’t happen . So what if you missed your workout or ate some pizza! Don’t stress out about it, just keep moving forward. Consistency is the key to forming & sticking to healthy habits , but never beat yourself up if you fall off track.
Here are a few things that have worked for my little family & have helped keep me healthy and happy ( and sane!) while raising our son.
- Create time for YOU. And not just for your workouts . I have been trying to wake up broke Brody each morning to do a miracle morning ( more on that soon) After Brody goes to bed I like to take time for me , no house work, just stress free time. I tend to jump onto pinterest and find some new recipes or workouts or add things to my mood/vision boards! Or I like to take a hot shower/bath with some lavender & epsom salt or relax with a glass of wine! Me time is a must.
- Meal prep + eat clean: Plan a small menu every Sunday for the week & make a shopping list. Look for fresh produce , lean meats and try not to buy processed foods. I try my hardest to skip the isles at the grocery store and just shop the edges for most of our foods. Make sure the foods you eat don’t have lots of added sugar, always check the label. I try to buy foods that have a very short list of ingredients . Meal prep foods that are easy to grab on the go. We moms forget to eat, especially in the beginning and having healthy snacks ready to eat makes life so much easier! We also will freeze single servings of food that are easy to heat up last min. Brody always comes shopping with me so I usually go in the morning when he is the happiest! Never take your child if he is already grumpy!!
- Have an exercise plan. Schedule your workout like it is an important meeting! Getting a workout in daily helps relieve stress and releases those happy hormones inside you making you feel amazing all day long! When Brody was a new baby I would workout during his first nap which was in the morning . At least 5 days a week. That was the plan and I stuck to it! I knew what workout I was doing the night before and was ready as soon as he fell asleep. Now I can workout when he is awake if I set up his play area right. I still try to workout in the morning so I can get it out-of-the-way! Again make sure he is happy, don’t try to workout out right before feeding time or when he is tired, a whinny baby is no fun!
- Involve the whole family. We like to go for walks as a family , my husband will push the stroller and I’ll take the dogs! Now that Brody is one he likes to do some of the workouts with me, he loves squat and is always getting into down dog!!! I also got him some super light weights and a resistance band that he likes to play with. With those things plus a snack I can easily get an hour workout done without him getting bored. As for housework? I always wore Brody while cleaning and while I cooked!
- Gym with a day care. This is a must if you are a gym goer! Again plan your day the night before , know what time you are going ( give or take an hour!) and GO. Have your bag plus the diaper bag ready. Pushing your workout back for later in the day is a big mistake! By the time 3 o’clock comes around you are too tired to even think about driving to the gym!
- Inner motivation + a positive mindset. Find a positive podcast to play when you wake up. I used to wake up and put the news on and it was always full of bad news. Now I listen to all sorts or positive podcast or YouTube videos. This helps me stay motivated plus keep a positive attitude most days. A change in your mindset can make a huge difference in your life!! I also like to finish my day by reading some personal development books. On YouTube I love Tony Robbins, Gary Vee, Habits of the wealthy just to name a few. For books I love Gabby Bernstein , The secret, The miracle morning (just started doing this again) and The energy Bus. If you follow any you think I should or have a favorite PD book Id love to learn more, comment below!! I also follow lots of people on instagram that help motivate me. I know it sounds crazy but I do not get jealous of other moms who have crazy six-pack or look like they are living a dream life, it motivates me to be an awesome mom & wife !!! Plus its a great place to learn some new recipes and workouts.
Insta Pot Pulled Pork
My first real meal made with my new insta pot was a SUCCESS! I found this pulled pork recipe here and we made sandwiches for dinner. Brody even liked it ( although it ended up being too spicy for him because of the sauce I used! )
I did change this recipe a bit. I bought all my ingredients from Trader Joes. What I love most is this did not take all day to make . When it was all done the total time was about two hours.
My ingredients :
- pork loin
- 1 cup bbq sauce – Sriracha & roasted garlic bbq sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- coleslaw – packaged tahini, pepita & apricot slaw kit
- rolls – sweet pull apart Aloha rolls
Here are the cooking instructions
Four Workouts I Did This Week
Happy Easter! Here are the four workouts I did this week! I hope you get to try them. Let me know when you do. All the workouts can be done right from home and the last HIIT workout can be done with no equipment . I shared some clips and pix of the moves to help you incase you don’t know some of the moves. But remember you can always google a move if you’re not sure what it is!
do all the moves for 15 reps then repeat all moves at 10 reps. Add weights when you can. Heres a clip of a few of the moves!
- squat hop side to side
- half surrender – I added a band & dumbbell
- glute bridge with dumbbells
- split jump lunge – right then left
- single leg hip hinge ( deadlift ) with a band- right then left
- reverse lunge
- narrow squats with dumbbells
- side lunge + curtsey lunge – right then left
Upper Body Circuit
- 3×10 chest press + close grip press
- 3×10 plyo pushup + 8 single arm to double arm flys
- french press drop set – pick a heavy weight and do as many reps as you can- then lower the weight and repeat – keep lowering and adding reps 3-4x
- 3×10 single arm press + single arm front raise
this took me less than 30 minutes. I added weight to all the moves
- side to side squat
- band kicks
- squat hops
2 sets of 10 ( 2×10 ) I added a band to all thee moves
- side lunge
- lunge jump single leg
- split lunge jump
- goblet squat
- squat cross leg jumps
Bonus: repeat all the moves one time through with no rest, 10 reps each.
Quick HIIT Today Body
Set your timer for 45 seconds on 5 seconds rest for 6 rounds. Rest & repeat . For round three I had to set the timer for 10 seconds rest!
- starter lunge hop left
- kettlebell swings or high knees
- starter lunge hop right
- soccer taps
- squat hops
Click here for a quick demo of all the moves!
Summer Recipe + Dinner For A One Year Old
I have summer & grilling on my mind! If you are anything like me and love mangos then you will love this kabob recipe. I have been totally obsessed with mangos recently and have been searching recipes to try. I found this one at beachbody.com and I didn’t really change a thing ( normally I change recipes ) We paired this with brown rice and Brody ( who is one ) love it!
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp . olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 2 tsp . chili powder
- ½ tsp . sea salt – I use pink Himalayan
- ¼ tsp . cayenne pepper
- 1 lb . raw chicken breast , boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tsp . raw honey
- 2 medium mangos , peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper , cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium orange bell pepper , cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium red onions (or sweet onion), cut into 1-inch cubes
Most nights Brody eats something very similar to us . On the nights we have soup I make him something different only because he hasn’t quite figured out how to use a spoon.
I don’t buy him food that I wouldn’t eat , like lots of those kid specific chicken nuggets and gross microwave pizzas!!! ( I mean ellios taste so good but I don’t buy it!!!) I do buy the frozen chicken fingers from Trader Joes ( we love those! ) and frozen sweat potato fries. I believe TJ has some dino nuggets that aren’t terrible we just haven’t tried them yet!
Shaws sells these broccoli / cheese tots that Brody loves . He would eat the whole bag if he could. I try to give him veggies every night, he gets a lot of our left overs. Anything roasted he loves . He ate all of this and then threw his plate at me!
Make sure you follow me on instagram , I share mine and Brodys food daily!
Making The Clean Swap In My Home
I have decided to swap out A LOT of things in my house for cleaner healthier options, and I’m not just talking about food! I made a post on my Facebook and instagram about how I am ready to buy safer products for my family, and my FB post exploded!!! I want to do it all, cleaning products , make ups, lotions, nail polish, baby products … you name it!
I am overwhelmed with all the info! People gave me so many different companies and products, I wasn’t even know where to even begin.
From what I read every site told me to stop buying any products that have artificial fragrance ( check the ingredients list & avoid if it says ‘fragrance’ or ‘parfum,’ that means it’s probably an artificial fragrance) We need to look for products that are scented with essential oils ( or make my own ) or products that says something like ‘proprietary blend of essential oils’ , these are generally safe to use.
I have decided that I’m going to start with my cleaning products and then lotions . Sounds weird but let me tell you how. I am going to make my own using oils! I have wanted to get into essential oils for a while and this seems like the perfect time.
There are TONS of recipes on google about how to make your own safe cleaning products that actually work. So that is what I am doing!
I have ordered my oils , saved a bunch of recipes and made a list of things I need. I’m starting with an all-purpose cleaner , a glass cleaner and dish soap. Then I am moving onto hand soap and lotions for me and Brody. Since a lot of the recipes call for the same ingredients I’ll be able to make soaps, face wash and lotions for me and Brody without buying a ton of different things.
This is not happening over night! This is going to take me some time and I’m excited to share this whole process with you all. Once I’m all set with my above activities I will move onto to make up which is going to be an investment !
If you have a favorite homemade recipe Id love to know it! Comment below, leave me links to your fav sites , tell me your favorite essential oils . I know nothing and want to learn everything!!!