How To Be A Healthy (ish) Fit Mom
Life can get busy! Between being a mom, work, friends & housework it can be tough to stay on track with your healthy lifestyle . What I have learned so far is if I want to be a healthy happy fit mom I need to put myself first sometimes . Being constantly stressed, unhealthy & unhappy isn’t good for anyone !
Each day is a new day! Forget about yesterday and what did or didn’t happen . So what if you missed your workout or ate some pizza! Don’t stress out about it, just keep moving forward. Consistency is the key to forming & sticking to healthy habits , but never beat yourself up if you fall off track.
Here are a few things that have worked for my little family & have helped keep me healthy and happy ( and sane!) while raising our son.
- Create time for YOU. And not just for your workouts . I have been trying to wake up broke Brody each morning to do a miracle morning ( more on that soon) After Brody goes to bed I like to take time for me , no house work, just stress free time. I tend to jump onto pinterest and find some new recipes or workouts or add things to my mood/vision boards! Or I like to take a hot shower/bath with some lavender & epsom salt or relax with a glass of wine! Me time is a must.
- Meal prep + eat clean: Plan a small menu every Sunday for the week & make a shopping list. Look for fresh produce , lean meats and try not to buy processed foods. I try my hardest to skip the isles at the grocery store and just shop the edges for most of our foods. Make sure the foods you eat don’t have lots of added sugar, always check the label. I try to buy foods that have a very short list of ingredients . Meal prep foods that are easy to grab on the go. We moms forget to eat, especially in the beginning and having healthy snacks ready to eat makes life so much easier! We also will freeze single servings of food that are easy to heat up last min. Brody always comes shopping with me so I usually go in the morning when he is the happiest! Never take your child if he is already grumpy!!
- Have an exercise plan. Schedule your workout like it is an important meeting! Getting a workout in daily helps relieve stress and releases those happy hormones inside you making you feel amazing all day long! When Brody was a new baby I would workout during his first nap which was in the morning . At least 5 days a week. That was the plan and I stuck to it! I knew what workout I was doing the night before and was ready as soon as he fell asleep. Now I can workout when he is awake if I set up his play area right. I still try to workout in the morning so I can get it out-of-the-way! Again make sure he is happy, don’t try to workout out right before feeding time or when he is tired, a whinny baby is no fun!
- Involve the whole family. We like to go for walks as a family , my husband will push the stroller and I’ll take the dogs! Now that Brody is one he likes to do some of the workouts with me, he loves squat and is always getting into down dog!!! I also got him some super light weights and a resistance band that he likes to play with. With those things plus a snack I can easily get an hour workout done without him getting bored. As for housework? I always wore Brody while cleaning and while I cooked!
- Gym with a day care. This is a must if you are a gym goer! Again plan your day the night before , know what time you are going ( give or take an hour!) and GO. Have your bag plus the diaper bag ready. Pushing your workout back for later in the day is a big mistake! By the time 3 o’clock comes around you are too tired to even think about driving to the gym!
- Inner motivation + a positive mindset. Find a positive podcast to play when you wake up. I used to wake up and put the news on and it was always full of bad news. Now I listen to all sorts or positive podcast or YouTube videos. This helps me stay motivated plus keep a positive attitude most days. A change in your mindset can make a huge difference in your life!! I also like to finish my day by reading some personal development books. On YouTube I love Tony Robbins, Gary Vee, Habits of the wealthy just to name a few. For books I love Gabby Bernstein , The secret, The miracle morning (just started doing this again) and The energy Bus. If you follow any you think I should or have a favorite PD book Id love to learn more, comment below!! I also follow lots of people on instagram that help motivate me. I know it sounds crazy but I do not get jealous of other moms who have crazy six-pack or look like they are living a dream life, it motivates me to be an awesome mom & wife !!! Plus its a great place to learn some new recipes and workouts.